Sunday, June 30, 2013

Good Bye Romania....

After 6 pretty awesome days in Romania, we said goodbye to continue on our journey through Europe. We head now to Budapest, Hungary where we plan to be until Thursday, June 27th. First...let me share a little about our fantastic time in Targu Mures, Romania and some of the surrounding areas. On Friday, the day after the graduation, Gary and I set out to explore a little on our own. It was blisteringly hot and humid so we didn't last long, but saw a town rich with Romanian and Hungarian history. There are colorful--some might call flamboyantly so-government buildings and churches of every religious affiliation. This is the Cultural Center in the middle of the downtown square and has a beautiful tiled, colorful roof and welcomes many fine arts; actually also housing the library!
This is City Hall and the Courthouse
On Sunday morning, we drove 168km (that is 104 miles to you and me) south to Brasov, where we found a breathtakingly beautiful town/city complete with a "Hollywood" sign high above the city perched on a mountain. We just had a minute or two to take all this in, before our tour guides (Robb and Helga) drove us another 40 minutes to Peles Castle. Peles apparently means Palace and my goodness...this was a place built for any King or Queen. See what I mean? This castle is nestled in a forest of trees and you must walk up a cobblestone street to get there. I guess it is only about 1/4 of a mile...but it seemed like 10 miles to me!
That bit of complaining aside, I am really glad we went because the palace is absolutely something to behold! The grand entry way that leads into the greeting room has very intricate woodworking and one can truly see why it took craftsman over 40 years to develop and build the palace. I am going to post this now because I am woefully late on my "blogging"...I have had some iPad issues! More to come soon...I still have to tell you all about Budapest, known as the "Paris" of Eastern Europe (and it is..it really is), and Vienna. We are now in Nuremberg Germany. I am feeling nostalgic, as I left here 32 years ago with an 18 month old baby...and return with that baby being a grown man with his wife! Everything has changed here as expected...but going to go out today to find some things familiar! Talk to you soon!!!

1 comment:

  1. This Eastern European culture is a flamboyant, colorful landscape. Tell us about the food.

    ReplyDelete